It was July 1, 1949. The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) came into being as a Statutory Body under the Chartered Accountants Act 1949. The primary aim of the Institute was and still is the regulation of the Profession of Chartered Accountancy in India.
In 1952, Eastern India Regional Council (EIRC) of ICAI saw the light of the day. The jurisdiction of EIRC spreads to the states of Assam, Tripura, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Orissa, West Bengal, Manipur, Mizoram and the Union Territory of Andaman & Nicobar Islands. The founder Chairman was Mr. Molay Deb and the Office of the EIRC was located in the 2nd flor of 7, Hastings Street (Now renamed as Kiron Shankar Roy Road).
- Asansol Branch established in 1974
- Bhubaneswar Branch established in 1979
- Cuttack Branch established in 1990
- Durgapur Branch established in 1990
- Guwahati Branch established in 1977
- Rourkela Branchestablished in 1999
- Sambalpur Branch established in 2006
- Siliguri Branch established in 1990
- Dibrugarh Branch established in 2013
- Tinsukia Branch established in 2013
- Raniganj Branch established in 2013
- Brahmapur Branch
- Jharsuguda Branch
There are presently Twenty active study circles operating under Eastern India Regional Council, Five CPE Chapters and Eight Study Groups.
The cherished dream of EIRC is to kindle the spark within - to bring members and students of ICAI closer – to make them not only good professionals but also good human beings. With the active cooperation of members and students this society would be a better place to live in. Its time to take stock of activities, performance and outcome and plan appropriately for the future.
On 10th December, 1975, the foundation stone of the present EIRC Building at 7, Russell Street was laid by the then Chief Justice, Calcutta High Court. On 14th April, 1977, the Building was inaugurated by the then Governor of West Bengal.
The New Building of EIRC at Rajdanga, Kasba was inaugurated by CA Subodh Kumar Agarwal, Past President, ICAI on 17th January 2014. The same would become operational soon.
On July1, 2012, EIRC completed its 60th Year, having been founded on May 14, 1952.
In the Diamond Jubilee Year while celebration is taking place, EIRC is also looking forward to better and more effective service to members and students.
The cherished dream of EIRC is to kindle the spark within - to bring members and students of ICAI closer – to make them not only good professionals but also good human beings.
The Institute has already been enriched by contributions from Presidents from the EIRC and each one of them has left his indelible mark on the Profession. They are :-
- CA G. Basu for the year 1952-53]
- CA C.P. Mukherjee for the year 1960-61
- CA M.C. Bhandari for the year 1970-71
- CA S.K. Gupta for the year 1973-74
- CA P.M. Narielvala for the year 1975-76
- CA P.K. Mallik for the year 1978-79
- CA. S.K. Dasgupta for the year 1987-88
- CA. Rahul Roy for the year 1998-99
- CA Subodh Kumar Agrawal for the year 2013-14
The number of EIRC members and students has been on a rising trend. With the active cooperation of members and students EIRC would reach even more greater heights in future. Its time to take stock of activities, performance and outcome and plan appropriately for the future.